Tinubu: I’m not ill, I am out of Nigeria to rest, strategise
The President-elect, Bola Tinubu, has debunked the reports that he left Nigeria for Europe after falling ill.
Tinubu said he travelled abroad to rest and plan his transition programme ahead of his inauguration on May 29, 2023, noting that he left Nigeria for Europe via the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Ikeja, Lagos State on Tuesday night.
The former two-term governor of Lagos State stated that he is prepared to leave Europe for Saudi Arabia for Lesser Hajj and the Ramadan Fasting which begins on Thursday, March 23, 2023.
The President-elect made this known via a statement issued on Wednesday by his media aide, Tunde Rahman.
An online news platform had earlier reported that Tinubu fell ill after the February 25 presidential election which led to his emergence as the President-elect and the tension that built up ahead of the March 18 governorship and House of Assembly elections in Lagos State.
Debunking the report, Rahman stated: “After a very exhaustive campaign and election season, President-elect, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has travelled abroad to rest and plan his transition programme ahead of May 29, 2023 inauguration.
“The President-elect left the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja for Europe on Tuesday night.
“The President-elect decided to take a break after the hectic campaign and election season to rest in Paris and London, preparatory to going to Saudi Arabia for Umrah (Lesser Hajj) and the Ramadan Fasting that begins Thursday.
“While away, the President-elect will also use the opportunity to plan his transition programme.
“He is expected back in the country soon.
“We enjoin the media to stop publishing rumours and unsubstantiated claims and to always seek clarifications from our office,” he said.